Hurricane Harvey Recovery: CMS Waives Provider Screening Requirements in Texas and Louisiana
CMS has temporarily relaxed Medicare screening and enrollment requirements to make the services of skilled professionals more easily available to those in need after Hurricane Harvey’s destruction.
This welcome suspension will facilitate getting doctors, facilities and suppliers onboard so they can assist with the ongoing Harvey recovery efforts.
New Toll-Free Hotline Created To Facilitate Temporary Medicare Billing Privileges
A new toll-free hotline number has been created for healthcare providers in these states to enroll in the federal health programs and receive temporary Medicare billing privileges.
This toll-free number is: 1-855-247-8428
Available 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time
The hotline is intended for non-certified Part B providers and other practitioners to initiate provisional temporary Medicare billing privileges. A contractor is assisting with this temporary enrollment.
These enrollment requirements have been waived:
- Application fee payment
- Finger-print based criminal background checks
- Site visits
- In-state licensure requirements
Beginning September 11, 2017, providers can initiate temporary Medicare billing privileges over the phone - and on the same day.
Other CMS Enrollment Changes Due To Hurricane Emergency
- Limited information including but not limited to NPI, Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number, and valid in-state or out-of-state licensure will be needed to initiate temporary billing privileges.
- Revalidation efforts for Medicare providers in Texas, Louisiana and other areas directly impacted by Hurricane Harvey are temporarily ceased.
- The temporary enrollment moratorium in Texas on Part B non-emergency ambulance suppliers is lifted in order to expedite aid in disaster response.
The practice location reporting requirement is waived. No administrative action will be taken for providers who fail to notify CMS of their temporary practice location (CMS-855).
Read the original CMS press release for more information.
Let Us Manage All Your Payer Enrollment Services
If you require medical credentialing and payer enrollment needs for your practice or medical facility, please contact 1st Assistant. Our experienced and dedicated specialists will provide all credentialing and enrollment services quickly and will monitor your account for ongoing updates and re-attestations. Heidi Henderson, our company owner and President, is eager to meet you and discuss your payer enrollment needs. Please call us at 512.201.2668 or contact us via the website.